This is the first module of ODU’s DeapSECURE cyberinfrastructure training. This module contains the introduction to High-Performance Computing (HPC) clusters, complemented with many hands-on exercises. Our final goal in this module is to perform basic analysis on a massive set of spam emails.
Contents & Roadmap
- Introduction to HPC–the background
- Accessing an HPC system–hands-on on Turing cluster
- UNIX shell interaction
- Text processing with UNIX shell
- Speeding up massive data processing: an example of SPAM email analysis
- Going forward
Where are we going?
First, we introduce what an HPC is, then how to access an HPC system (ODU Turing cluster). Next, we will present a crash course, or refresher, on UNIX shell. We will use the UNIX shell knowledge to write a simple pipeline to process a very large number of spam emails and obtain some statistical knowledge about them.
- Basic computer interactions, students should know how to interact with a computer using a keyborad.
- Basic concepts such as directories, files, and paths.
- Basic text editing skills. Students should know how to input text, issue commands…